It’s official…Christmas is almost here. The holiday season is about spending some quality time with family, friends, and for many of us…beer.
One of the great things about the craft beer industry is the variety of beer styles available. Classics, seasonal brews, hybrids, and things you have no hope of pronouncing but try to anyway. The local brews, like the people of B.C. and their pallets, are unique.
Bringing together two holiday season essentials (friends + beer), I asked some Van Pours homies the following:
- What’s your favourite style of beer?
- What recent beer of that style that you’ve enjoyed?
Here’s what they said…
Pierce – Simon Fraser University student, Co-founder; Kermodee
- India Pale Ale (IPA)
- “I love the hoppy flavour of IPAs and the alcohol % is a neat bonus.”
- Silverspot IPA (ABV 6%) from Pelican Brewing Company
Isuru – Simon Fraser University student, Co-founder; Kermodee
- ” I like how smooth and refreshing Lagers are.”
- Grolsch Lager (ABV 5%) from Grolsch Brewery
(side note: many home brewers are likely familiar with Grolsch’s resealable bottles…)
Ben – Bartender; Mahony and Sons
- “Flavourful, great mouthfeel, hearty, and like a meal in a glass.”
- Black Plague Stout (ABV 8%) from Storm Brewing
Neil – Simon Fraser University student
- “Love the mix of flavours and bitter aftertaste. It’s tough to go back to lagers after trying some great IPAs.”
- Guardian White IPA (ABV 6.5%) from Strange Fellows Brewing
(side note: this brew made our ‘6 IPAs You Need to Try‘ list)
2. “After riding 1,000 miles on my hog, nothing’s better than sitting down with cold one…or two, or three. The remnants of foam left on my handlebar mustache is a bonus.”
3. Dry Hopped ESB (ABV 4.6%) from Steel and Oak Brewing
And, just for kicks, here are the Van Pours team’s favourites…
Brett – Co-founder; Van Pours
- “I find that they have more substance to them. When you’re in the mood for a stout, there’s really no substitute.”
- Stag and Pheasant Imperial Stout (ABV 9%) from Main Street Brewing Company
Chris – Co-founder; Van Pours
- Extra Special Bitter (ESB)
- “ESB’s have an awesome balance of flavours and hops.”
- Red Racer Red Ale, formerly Red Racer ESB (ABV 5.5%) from Central City Brewers + Distillers
From lagers to stouts, and anything inbetween, there’s a beer for everyone to enjoy. If you find that you’re really into one type of beer and tend to stay with that style, try to mix it up and choose something different – I suggest a winter ale, stout, or porter for this month’s festivities! Who knows, it might become your new favourite.
Connect with Van Pours!
Get in touch! Let’s go for a pint and/or like each other’s stuff on Instagram. Are you a local brewery? Craft beer enthusiast? Event planner? Media savvy blog guru? Beer nerd? Give us a shout, we are happy to hear from you.
Instagram/Twitter: @vanpours or use #vanpours to share what you’re drinking with us